[pct-l] shoes

jason moores jmmoores at hotmail.com
Sat Nov 21 16:56:58 CST 2009

JJ,

Unfortunately there is no one answer to finding a shoe that will work for you. For years now the standard has been breathable trail runners paired with a good insole, such as Super Feet. This summer on the trail we saw just about every brand and style of shoe on the market. No single brand stuck out as the "best". It has been my experience that the shoe manufacturer has less to do with the overall success of a shoe than how it is worn and your physical conditioning prior to hitting the trail.

I walked from the border to Agua Dolce in trail runners and thin socks, as did most hikers. I found that I didn't care for this combination. While the ventilation of the runners was a plus, I found that the accumulation of the grit associated with very breathable shoes caused blisters around my toes. We washed our socks and feet at every opportunity that presented itself. Even so, there were long stretches were the lack of spare water prevented us from sticking to our cleaning routine. I switched to thicker socks and a more substantial shoe, Lowa, and the problems vanished.

Molasses had serious foot issues for the first 300 miles. After trying many different combination of socks and shoes we removed her Super Feet and replaced them with cheap Spenco brand insoles. Like magic, her feet got better. Not over the course of several days but instantly. Although Super Feet worked well for me, they were destroying her feet and were the cause of a great deal of pain and frustration.

This is just an example of how what worked for most people, didn't work for us. In my opinion it is more important that you find a shoe that can be worn 1.5-2 sizes larger than normal, and that is still snug in the heal. Many of the foot problems that we saw on the trail were caused by shoes that didn't have sufficient room to allow for swelling. It is no fun walking down hill all day with your toes hitting the front of the shoe.

Pre trip conditioning of the feet is also crucial. Training with a full pack load is the only way that I know of to condition your feet to the stresses that they will face on the trail. I find it more important to hike shorter miles with a full pack on than to push for longer miles with a light load. Once on the trail the ability to increase your stamina comes easier than your ability to toughen your feet. I feel that how you prepare your feet to the reality of the stress of carrying a thirty pound pack outweighs the choice of a particular brand of shoes.

I hope this helps a little,
Jackass