[pct-l] info?

Scott Bryce sbryce at scottbryce.com
Sun Oct 18 09:15:04 CDT 2009

Randy Fitch wrote:
> what are people using as far as tents or tarps? I have just been
> turned on to tarptents, particularly the Moment and see the light
> weight and thought of using a hiking pole.

Tarptents are very popular, as are tarps.

> has anyone used these? Do they hold up to wind and rain okay?

They do fine, if you pitch them correctly.

There are several companies that offer lightweight tarps or tents.

Mountain Laurel Designs.
Gossamer Gear.
Six Moon designs.

> What is the evening weather in lower cali like before the higher
> sierras in early may?Do i need a light jacket for cool nights? or
> expect a hot first month?

Expect either one and both.

> and as far as feet, does anyone use liners? or just replace and dry
> socks constantly?

Replacing and drying socks constantly is a good idea. I wish I had
started doing it earlier on my hike.