[pct-l] Fall/winter hiking

ed faubert edfaubert at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 19 23:41:52 CDT 2009

Yes you can do so because you have done big mile hikes all over America buts lets nor forget that folks like you are less then 1 % of 1 % ofthe average folks who come to the canyon to see and hike  the canyon. I can personaly tell you some folks who did the entire PCT were denied a permit to do a 12/15 mile long per day hike. When you cold turkey a permit into the office and it seems too many miles per day a red flag goes up, even i get them sometimes. However if you explain that your a long distence hiker on major trails AND you sign off on the permit they will give you some slack. Keep in mind however that a space has still got to be open somewhere.
However even if your doing th AZT there still has to be a place for you to camp below the rim, if all the places are taken that day then yes you have to do a 24++ mile hike. If you started in Mexico going north you can do a 24 mile hike pretty readily.

When you mentioned 3 didget temps you can see why i go in the winter when it can get down to 25o at night and up to 50o durning the day on the tonto. I have walked out in near whiteout blizzard conditions a few times but also hiked out in dec/march snowfree. Then too its been it the low 70s at the river in mid jan as well. Just like on the PCT every day can be hot/cold/wet/dry...just be prepared for anything....

Remember you also had 1000s of feet of elevation lost as well as the gain...

Meadow Ed