[pct-l] Black Bear

Diane at Santa Barbara Hikes dot com diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Fri Oct 30 09:48:50 CDT 2009

I'm sure all the scary bear stories are true and that certainly,
bears can potentially hurt people. But I saw lots of bears on the PCT
and not a single one of them tried to hurt me. All the bears I saw
ran away from me in terror. Only one bear took my food and that bear
was IN TOWN in the campground in Mammoth. All he got for his efforts
was to put a few trophy scratches in my bear canister.

The trouble I have with scary bear stories is that the idiots out
there hear them and say stupid stuff like "I'm going to bring a 44
magnum with me if I go into the woods." I have a guy who says that to
me every weekend when I go hiking with the Sierra Club. The stupid
thing about this is that the thing you need to protect yourself from
bears isn't a sexy gun, it's a boring bear canister. But after
hearing so many scary bear stories, the only thing this guy is
wanting to do is carry a gun.

So if there are any newbies on this list reading these stories, THE
MOST YOU NEED to protect yourself from bears is A BEAR CANISTER.

Keep on walking...

Diane