[pct-l] Best gps iPhone app?

Denis Stanton denisstanton at mac.com
Wed Sep 23 15:46:29 CDT 2009

Hi Laura

I'd like to add one more to the detailed and excellent analysis from
Bill

I used Phil Endecott's 'Topo Maps' app on my last section hike and
highly recommend it.

I was daunted by it at first and it took me a while to appreciate what
it does.  It is not a substitute for Google Maps as it doesn't have a
searchable index of every place name you can think of. In the version
I used on the PCT in June it could only search by map name.  This
seems to have been expanded a lot and it now seems to have a list of
geographical points of interest.

It is not a substitute for MotionX GPS as it doesn't have all the
average speed, distance to waypoint, estimated time of arrival etc.
calculations

Don't be put off (as I was at first) by what it doesn't have.  What it
does have is fantastic.  It has the ability to download and store any
of the thousands of USGS 1:24,000 and Natural Resources Canada
1:50,000 maps.  The maps take a while to download (5 or 10 minutes
each for me) so you do this BEFORE you leave home.  The maps are then
securely cached so when you are on the trail all you need is the GPS
signal (free from the sky above), not the cell-phone connection (from
the cell tower which is probably out of range).

On my trip in June I did the Rae Lakes Loop.  I spent an evening at
home downloading 20 or so maps covering the whole trip from Road's End
to Vidette Meadows, Rae Lakes, Woods Creek and the PCT as far as VVR
just in case.  This was a moderately laborious task because each map
takes a while to download and then you have to follow the PCT across
the map and figure out which map you want to get next.

Having done this the Topo Maps application became my best friend on
the trail.  Just click a button to place yourself accurately on these
really detailed maps that have the PCT clearly marked.  Some other
maps are really made for motorists and don't bother much with serious
trails, but the USGS 1:24,000 are the ones you would be carrying all
the way if you could afford to buy them all and manage the weight

I came over Glen Pass in light snow.  The trail was buried knee-deep
and although I could see the Rae Lakes in the distance I have to make
my own way down.  I post-holed until I felt it was safe to slide and
then sat down and glissaded happily down the hill.  Incidentally this
was a much nicer experience than last year when I tried something
similar on the north side of Forrester, got out of control and
discovered to my cost that you can't self arrest by planting your only
hiking pole in the snow between your knees as you slide.

When I got the end of the snow I had no idea where the actual trail
was.  I came off the snow into a maze of scrubby bushes and small
trees, patches of snow and lots of streams.  I thought the most likely
place for the trail was on the stony ridge away to my right.   Another
hiker following a similar trajectory down the snow called out to ask
if I knew which way to go and I suggested the ridge looked likely.
Then I took out the iPhone, opened Top Maps and touched the "show me
where I am button".  A couple of seconds later if dropped a blue dot
onto the map and I could see the red line of the PCT was nearby on my
left.  I shouted back "I think it's about 20 feet that way", walked
around a patch of scrub and that's exactly where it was.  That one
moment easily repaid the $6.99.  I could have wasted a lot of energy
climbing onto the wrong ridge.

I see Phil has added a lot more features since my last hike.  I look
forward to trying it out.  There are many other GPS apps that are fun
and interesting.  This one could really be a life saver.

Denis