[pct-l] LW Backpacking Presentation

Matt Thyer matt_thyer at hotmail.com
Mon Sep 28 10:42:52 CDT 2009

Paul,

Thanks for the deck, really nice work and so I've been scrutinizing it and
comparing to my pack build.  Couple of questions for you regarding the deck
and your kit.  First, on the kitchen parts slide you're showing a
methyl-alcohol stove, a gram biscuit pad, and bio-fuels stack.  Do you
generally use all three fire sources on trips or is this just for
demonstration purposes?  When I cook I've been taking canned gas this
summer, but I've been interested in either turning back to methyl-alcohol or
bio-fuels.  I don't like to carry the weight of the fuel if I don't have to.

Also, I noticed that in several slides you're wearing USDA, USFS issued
Nomex shirt as part of your base ensemble.  Your pants don't look like the
standard Nomex pants (they're usually dark green ... at least in my neck of
the woods).  What kind of pants do you usually wear?  Do you know how much
they weigh?

Lcgrconrad,

I live closer to the Columbia than some and do a good bit of UL
backpacking/running.  I don't have a deck put together yet, but certainly
could have something ready to go by November.  Contact me directly off list
and let's talk about the possibilities.

Thanks,

Matt Thyer