[pct-l] The hazards of hiking alone

Jeffrey Olson jolson at olc.edu
Wed Sep 30 10:12:37 CDT 2009

I have hiked alone for years as well.  I've learned to trust my
experience rather than equipment.  I camp within shouting distance of
the trail.

But the greatest hazard I found was my own inner voices - the sense of
time stretching endlessly with no purpose or meaning as the wilderness
unfolds.  I love to hear how others can hike day after day alone and
revel in the solitude.  I thought at one point I enjoyed it too, but
found it just too hard emotionally.  The best part of my long section
hikes have been those days when I meet up with someone with whom I can
laugh and tell stories and argue philosophy.

I used to think those who huddled in the "pack" for social nurturance
were not evolved.  If that's so, then I'm not.  I am not bent to spend
that much time alone, although I am bent to live alone and spend most of
my time alone.  I need the touch of human contact, just a little touch,
to live in relative balance and harmony.

Experience hiking will shed the learned fears.  What that shedding opens
up is so individual that it can only be revealed in story, how one
narrates one's life...

Jeffrey Olson
Martin, SD