[pct-l] question about training

Jim & Jane Moody moodyjj at comcast.net
Wed Sep 30 14:59:14 CDT 2009

Ann,

I just read Erik's response, as I sit here drinking beer and reading trail journals.  It's a huge misconception that you need to be in great physical condition to do a thru hike.  It helps at first, if you want to do big miles early, but it certainly is not mandatory.  Just start slow and let the Trail get you in hiking shape.

Like Postholer alluded to, a more important requirement is to be familiar with and confident in your gear.  I did the AT in 2006 as an old guy in average condition, so I know that being a marathoner isn't a prerequisite.

I'm planning to do the PCT in 2010 also; maybe I'll see you then.

Mango