[pct-l] re- question about training

neil p. neildpetersen at gmail.com
Wed Sep 30 15:20:27 CDT 2009

hello, I am planning a 2010 thru hike as well and have been struggling with
this question of pretraining as well. I have come to the conclusion that you
should be comfortable in the woods and with your gear before heading of for
a thru hike. However, I think this can only be accomplished by backpacking
so I have been trying to fit as many trips in as possible doing at least
10-15 miles per day and hike as many day hikes as you can. But as far as
being able to carry a pack and walk 20 mile days out of the gate I would
worry more about your confidence and your desires to hike. I would let the
miles build as you begin the trail and adjust to wearing a pack and walking
for extended periods of time. Ultimately I tell myself the trail is not
going anywhere so there is no hurry, pace yourself and I think the whole
trail is possible but if you approach it like a race you probabbly wont make
it. Also one of my big worries is water issues in socal so I backpack where
I can simulate this, the other big fear is the snow so I will to take a
course with mtn ed this coming spring. hope to meet you on the trail this
coming spring, I am already anxious. Take care
-neil