[pct-l] An adventure like this , maybe !

JOHN F PATTERSON yuppatt at sbcglobal.net
Fri Apr 9 13:11:29 CDT 2010

I did some of the PCT in 2004 and then again more in 2008 ( AT : Ga to Me , 2002 ) . Am now more or less at the Columbia River . Likely about two thirds . Straight shot from Mex border to Lake Tahoe and somewhat got spooked by a bear at the creek just below Donahue ( spelling ? ) Pass - made bad camp choice right on the trail , etc .

Her and her cub woke my G F as they worked to get my food hung in a pine there . G F wakes me , " Jack , there ' s a bear in the tree ! "  She has joined me from CT in Mammoth for the trip over to Yosemite , Tuolumne Meadows , etc . Ver little back packing exp .

Soooo , I attempt to lumber up searching for the glasses and a little light that straps onto my head . . ." Damn , where did I put them glasses ? " Fumbling . The cub is rocking the food bag limb . Mom , though is hidden behind the pine but grunting instructions . I had done a GOOD job tying that bag !

I had by then called the other campers there - Raven and Pemba , experienced through hikers who had had several skirmishes already THAT WEEK with bears . Pemba had been mauled slightly thru a tent even . We also had a south bounder on the JMT and he came over . Fire had died . Mom comes out from behind the tree . Knees start up for real . BIG as a house she is - I ' m sure in the dark with no 911 to call .

So Raven takes charge of us - get stones she says and line up , etc . We will rush her screaming and throwing stones ... first ' rush ' found the cub still up the tree and the Mom nervously now whacking limbs off the tree with mighty blows . Knees ... We backed off and a second SCREAMING rush drove them . I think one of my stones hit Mom . Have always regretted that .

Reported incident to Ranger at Tuolumne . Yawn . Suggested we throw ' sticks ' next time ! Yikes . No stick would have deterred this Mom . Must have been recent divorcee . See her / offspring now in my mind ' s eye !

So DO decide to go ; get yr . butt out the door and have an adventure !