[pct-l] Postal "theft"

Timothy Nye timpnye at gmail.com
Wed Apr 14 19:37:28 CDT 2010

I couldn't agree more.  If I understand the rationalization correctly, he's
entitled because he is a good moral person who helps people and doesn't
cheat, lie or steal to people directly.  But where there is an intervening
entity between the offender and those who ultimately have to pay the freight
(literally), then this is a victimless crime. Apparently, all that is
required is that the "victim" is unaware of the transgression.  I'll ponder
this rationalization next time I mail something and the postage has gone up
yet again. What the heck, lets have the "rich" pay for it!

Yes, this does not involve a great deal of money, but concerns something of
much greater value.  Individual character.  No one is entitled to special
treatment, we are all the same

That there are limited funds available to you is, sorry about
this, irrelevant.  That you chose to help the needy is commendable.  It
loses it's luster, however, when it is treated as the coin of privilage and
superiority.   Just because no one hears the tree fall in the forest doesn't
mean that it hasn't fallen.  The same is true of hikers.  Here the falling
has been heard by a sizable portion of the trail community, many of whom go
to great lengthes to provide assistance to the hiking community, often at
significant financial expense to themselves not to mention time and effort.

By the way, the book (now media) rate for postage is statutory and has been
in effect for at least 50 years. The post office is a constitutional entity.

What's depressing about this to me is that this was posted right after the
lengthy discussion on Billy Goat's lost poles.  I WANT the trail community
to have a higher standard than what may be viewed as permissible behaviour
in society at large.  I WANT the trail to be transformative and to have all
who experience it be elevated.

Am I being unrealistic?

Gourmet