[pct-l] Water at Cartter Meadow Trail?

Diane Soini of Santa Barbara Hikes diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Thu Aug 12 19:24:48 CDT 2010

On Aug 12, 2010, at 4:19 PM, pct-l-request at backcountry.net wrote:

> I've been section hiking the PCT the past four years. ?I'm leaving
> August 28th from Donner Pass and exiting at Hat Creek Resort for
> this years section. ?There is a 20 mile section from a Jeep Rd. to
> Soldier Creek with no water except off trail at Carter Meadow
> Trail. ?Does anyone know if this is a reliable all season source of
> water? Thanks, Mountain Mike?

I was in this area what will be a month earlier than you will be there.

Cold Spring at the jeep road is reliable.

The Guide Book says that you should only have to go a mile to a mile
down Carter Meadow trail and possibly another 1/2 mile down a logging
road to find water and campsites. The map in the book also shows the
creek as an intermittent creek until the dirt road where it becomes a
perennial creek. I did not visit this water source when I went
through last month but it appeared that other hikers were using the
source and they had decorated the turnoff quite nicely with sticks
and things.

Soldier Spring should be reliable according to the Guide Gook. It was
flowing well when we came through with a few small campsites.