[pct-l] Sleeping pad

Jim & Jane Moody moodyjj at comcast.net
Mon Aug 16 18:58:49 CDT 2010

I used one on the PCT this year, along with dozens of others.  It takes a few minutes to blow up, but like somebody said, "You got to breathe anyway.".  Besides the price, the main drawback is vulnerability to puncture.  I carried a cheap, light closed cell foam pad from K-Mart to use under the Neoair, and that worked great.  Besides extra protection, it gave more cushioning for sleeping and more insulation when camping on snow.  The pad alone would not have been sufficient - the NeoAir gave a great night's sleep.

If you buy one, I recommend getting it from an outfitter you can trust to back the warranty.  Mine first one had a slow leak, and they replaced it without charge.  Of the dozen or so hikers that used the NeoAir this year, I was the only one I knew of that had a leak.

Mango