[pct-l] What do others do to get/stay in shape

Eugene Leafty atetuna at hotmail.com
Wed Aug 18 02:38:27 CDT 2010

I was in pretty bad cardiovascular shape when I started the trail this year.
Being in poor shape didn't hold me back much, although I sweated a lot.
What did hold me back were my joints (ankle) and blisters.  That's what I'll
be working on before I hit the trail again.  I plan on losing a lot of
weight to reduce the risk of injuring my ankle again, and that will probably
mean being in better shape, but that's just gravy.  If I could flip a switch
and instantly have sturdy joints, thick soles and drop to 160 pounds, I
wouldn't do anything more.

As far as working out, here's what I'll do.  Lots of variations on calf
lifts.  Lots of hikes in minimal footwear.  Rockier trails are preferred.
The workload will depend on how quickly I shed weight and how my joints
feel.