[pct-l] socks

CHUCK CHELIN steeleye at wildblue.net
Mon Aug 30 10:23:43 CDT 2010

Good morning, all,

I haven’t used toe-socks but I do hear many serious hikers say they really
like them.  As a result, I did try on a pair and I was immediately disturbed
by the confining feeling of the extra thickness between my toes.  I have
average-width feet but I’ve found over the years that I must have extra wide
shoes – 4E – to avoid pain on a long hike.  If I were to add 8 additional
layers of fabric to the width of each foot I don’t expect I could ever find
shoes sufficiently wide to suit me.  I encourage anyone to really try a pair
before stocking up on a trip’s-worth of them based solely upon favorable
recommendations.

The weight of the NeoAir seems to be down where it needs to be to attract
ultra-lite hikers.  The NeoAir is only a few ounces heaver than my
knee-length foam pads.  My concerns are they are quite expensive, and being
light I question the durability.  I’m a bit tough on my pad:  I spread it on
unprepared ground for a nap, and I don’t closely examine the proposed
sleeping area for thorns, sharp rocks, small cones, or even tree needles.  I
kneel on the pad when I’m fussing around packing and unpacking my gear, and
sometimes I just pull the pad out to use as a seating cushion.  I don’t
think I could/would do that if I knew $140 was at risk.

I have no trouble sleeping on a 3/8” pad after a hiking day.  At home before
a hike I spend a week or so sleeping with the pad on a hard floor just to
get my old bones to adapt to a different surface.  It works for me.

Steel-Eye

http://www.trailjournals.com/steel-eye

http://www.trailjournals.com/SteelEye09