[pct-l] food strategy,

CHUCK CHELIN steeleye at wildblue.net
Wed Dec 15 18:00:27 CST 2010

Good afternoon, HalfMile,

Hiker hunger seems to hit me earlier than it does many others, and it seems
to depend upon my conditioning.  If I’ve trained long and hard for a hike
I’ll be hungry from the first day.  In ’07 I loaded 4,000 Cal/day from the
start, and kept it there until resupplying at Independence.  That seemed
generally appropriate for my average 20 miles/day, but it didn’t include any
of the pig-out food at trail town stops.  At Independence I faced a fairly
long section and was volume-limited by my bear ‘can.  I packed 3,200 Cal/day
and became a bit gaunt by the time I got to Tuolumne Meadows even though I
also made a non-resupply visit to VVR and ate like a plague of locusts.

Other years I’ve hiked for several weeks before the onset of heavy-duty
hunger.  During those periods I make an effort to eat my daily ration even
though I’m ambivalent, possibly due to the heat.  Sometimes when I’m not
really hungry and I don’t eat what I think I should I run out of gas before
the end of the day and have to bribe myself with some kind of goodie to book
that last five miles.

Steel-Eye

http://www.trailjournals.com/steel-eye

http://www.trailjournals.com/SteelEye09