[pct-l] Mojave Forks Reservoir

Barry Teschlog tokencivilian at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 23 16:17:48 CST 2010

Having slept on the floor of the empty "reservoir" that is behind Mojave Forks
Dam on my 2006 thru hike, I wondered what it was like with all the recent rain
in So Cal.

The Google revealed:

http://www.spl.usace.army.mil/resreg/#

Which links through eventually to where one can see the water depth in the
reservoir.  It looks like no water in the reservoir is at about 2,990 feet
(presumably above sea level).  The plot I'm looking at for the last 10 days
appears to show the water depth peaking at 3,045 feet or so (55 feet deep mid
day the 22nd.

Flows coming in to the reservoir peaked at over 20,000 cubic feet per second (a
cube of water 27 feet on a side), while the dam released a peak flow of about
14,000 cubic feet a second.

So....all you thrubies, both past and present....the trail you have walked, or
will walk, was about 55 feet under water.