[pct-l] june start date insane??

dsaufley dsaufley at sprynet.com
Wed Feb 3 18:16:21 CST 2010

"50 Feet" (and others considering a June start date):

June can be a variable month, just like April and May. I would venture that
in average years So Cal is quite doable. "June Gloom" sets in, which
actually starts in May and can last into July.  Coastal fog is the norm.
Many hiking the PCT at that time of year find themselves above a sea of
white at higher elevations.  Inland areas, especially valleys, are generally
warmer, but the coastal influence can keep temps down throughout the region.
Now, be aware that we've had bizarre, unseasonal, and extreme weather in the
past few years; just be prepared for both hot and cold, possibly even wet,
conditions.

The usual caveats about water apply:  many on-trail seasonal sources will
probably be dry, and caches may not be well maintained. But the same can be
true in May, so you're at no real disadvantage starting in June. The other
advice is to plan well and do a careful review of water sources listed in
the Guidebook as well as www.4jeffrey.net/pct . There are year-round sources
that are not all that far off trail. I've seen subsequent posts, and
understand you're doing sections.  Since you're not trying to get to Canada
in one season, having to range a bit further afield to access water might
perhaps be possible.

We are open and hosting here at Hiker Heaven (Agua Dulce) commencing May 1
through the end of June. I believe the San Diego trail angels are still
hosting, and well, you can pretty much always count on the Andersons north
of us in Green Valley. It's common for us to see teachers and students late
season. Amazingly enough, a few of them have made it to Canada with a June
start date, sans skipping. Then there was the amazing, tall, and reputedly
stunning Swiss girl, Sarah Marquis, who was through here July 14 and
finished in September. Mr. Mumbles had to host her by himself.  After she
finished the PCT she skippered someone's sailboat from Vancouver to some
exotic port. But I'm not jealous. Don't know how long you're planning to be
out.  We're an average of four weeks from Campo, and no longer open in July.

One last reminder, we still do not have an official TRAIL reroute for
Section D from Islip Saddle to Soledad Canyon (Angeles NF closure due to the
Station Fire). Hoping for an announcement before long. I stipulate TRAIL
reroute because the current reroute is a 45+/- road walk. A better
alternative is actively being sought.

L-Rod