[pct-l] worthless prediction

Wes Rose wb104475 at sbcglobal.net
Sat Feb 6 10:41:17 CST 2010

California is having unusually heavy periods of rain and snow this year.  We are presently over
125% of normal precipitation levels, and I believe we'll continue to see a very unusual year.
This year reminds me of another very heavy El Nino weather pattern that we experienced
in 1979, when we had snow from the Cajon Pass all the way to Mammoth (and beyond).
Of course we're not at that level this year - yet - but as a native son and life long resident of
California, my unsolicited and possibly worthless advise to anybody preparing for a 2010 PCT
thru hike is to be prepared to navigate much of So Cal (over 5000 ft) and the Eastern Sierra in
snow.  Map and compass skills, as well as adequate preparation, may save your life.

Were this my year, that snow course would also be on my list of things to do...