[pct-l] Multi-Vitamin Recomendation

David Thibault dthibaul07 at gmail.com
Sun Feb 7 10:41:13 CST 2010

 I took an occasional Multi-Vitamin on my thru hikes.  I don't take them
normally as I try to eat a balanced diet.  On the trail eating a balanced
diet is harder due to the lack of fresh fruits and veggies.  I can't say if
a vitamin makes a difference for me or not.

 I would just buy any low cost multi.  IMHO any one brand vs another is just
marketing hype.  If you compare brands they all have the same basic vitamins
at their core.   I suspect you will get plenty of most in your diet anyway
(for example - with the sunshine is So Cal Vitamin D should never be a
problem!).

Interestingly I find somewhere past the 1500 mile mark I stop thinking of
meals as food and they start to just become thought of as energy.  My body
starts saying I need energy - I then look into my food bag and look for what
"energy" I need.  I even find I look at it this way when resupplying.  Can't
tell you how many times I've held two different meals in my hands at the
store and made the decision as to which to carry based on calorie and carbs
& fat content.  Note: this is from a guy that wouldn't eat much of the
standard hiker fair that I see most thru hikers eating (no ramen or mac &
cheese every night here).

Of course I do eat much more junk food on the trail than at home.  I attempt
to give the body what is craves when hiking.  I did eat my fair share of
snickers and fritos corn chips - two foods I never eat at home but loved out
on the trail.

Day-Late