[pct-l] Avoiding the pack

Sean 'Miner' Nordeen sean at lifesadventures.net
Tue Feb 9 20:55:32 CST 2010

> I usually prefer solitude on the trail rather than being
> righ smack in the middle of a pack --
> but even if I would prefer to avoid the crowd,
> do I have a choice?

You can have as much solitude as you want.  It's easier if you stay to the front or the back of the main herd.  But after the High Sierra when the herd is spread out over a few weeks, it's much easier

I started the trail a week ahead of ADZPCTKO and the main herd and then got injured and lost most of May before getting back on so I missed the main wave.  I was then playing catchup to the herd in front of me and there were times I never saw anyone else for days.  After the High Sierra when I had passed the back of the herd, I had the choice to hike with others or alone and did both depending on my mood.  In some sections, I chose to hike alone and other then seeing others pass me while I took a break or me passing them on their breaks, I hiked and camped alone.  Other times, I hiked with others choosing to camp with them or go into town together.  One hiker and I kept seeing each other from Yosemite all the way to Canada.  We'd sometimes get together on the trail,but often we hiked apart.  He chose a more social hike and eventually formed a small group with 2 other hikers we met near Etna, while I chose to hike by myself for the most part and only joined them and others occasionally.

-Miner