[pct-l] help with PCT -John Muir trail access

jape1 at cox.net jape1 at cox.net
Fri Feb 12 12:14:36 CST 2010

You've already received the info that the JMT is currently snowbound.  http://www.tranquilityimages.com/cams.shtml  is a webcam link that in the third photo shows the current conditions at Tuolumne Meadows.  It is not unusual for these conditions to remain well past Memorial Day.

If I were the one with two days of free hiking time, I'd drive up 395 into the Owens valley (roughly 5 hours from San Diego.)  Darn near every creek flowing east from the Sierra escarpment has campgrounds near the valley floor if you want to sleep outdoors.  Me, I'd probably stop at Ray's Den in Independence and day hike out of there, just wandering around the lower snow free canyons and enjoying the spectacular view of the Range of Light.

If you want to burn up the trail, I would suggest an overnight in the Anza Borrego desert, or, day hike and camp at Agua Caliente and enjoy the hot springs in the evening.

eckert