[pct-l] Blackberry GPS

Postholer public at postholer.com
Mon Feb 22 19:09:47 CST 2010

> 1.  They say they have no tutorial, guide, instruction book, etc.,
Yuck.

> 2.  I am not able to zoom in or out with the GPS map ... is this a big
> deal?
I think so.

> 3.  digital versions of USGS 7.5 ' quads, state ... exceeds 16 Gb memory
> card.
There are 458 quads required to cover the PCT well. At an average of  12MB
per quad, that's under 6 GB's. So, technically, yes, you could carry them.

> 4.   Is this simple enough for  me to do myself, or do I need to rent a
> teenager?
Yes, it's easy. With a GPS unit, ahem, use the gpx files.

> 5.  I was a map guy in an earlier life (the in-house GIS shop reported to
> me), so I'm not stupid - just ignorant.
I'm stupid and ignorant, but I don't let the little things get in the way!
;)

Dude, save yourself some serious heartache and get a a cheap GPS or an
expensive one. All of your troubles will go away. Well, the above mentioned
anyways. ;)

I wouldn't use a GPS unit to make a phone call and I wouldn't use a cell
phone as a GPS. With a GPS you'll have zoomable maps, easy to load
waypoints, documentation, etc. With your background it will be a no brainer.

Hope that helps,
-postholer

Trail Journals, Google Trail Maps, Forums: http://postholer.com
Pacific Crest Trail Photo Atlas: http://postholer.com/photoAtlas.php