[pct-l] [Pct-l] Early Flip Flop Weather

Tom Griffin griffin at u.washington.edu
Sun Feb 28 20:09:19 CST 2010

Evan,

I'm not sure why no one else has replied yet to your question. Do NOT
consider the North Cascades of Washington in May/June. Even though we
are having an El Nino year, the snow levels will be too high for hiking.
Most southbounders don't even start at Manning Park until the middle of
July. You might want to consider flipping up to Ashland from Kennedy
Meadows and trying to hike Oregon in June--if the snow levels are low
enough.

The other alternative is to break up your thru hike into long sections
over two years. I know that's not ideal, but because of the snow
conditions here in Washington, you may not have much of a choice.

Tom "Bullfrog" Griffin
Section Hiker Extraordinaire
Seattle