[pct-l] Bear bagging

Sean Nordeen sean at lifesadventures.net
Sat Jan 2 13:39:19 CST 2010

>A few years ago a friend of mine was sleeping with his food (using his pack
>as a pillow) at Little Jimmy Spring north of Los Angeles when a bear grabbed
>the bag out from under him and took off. It's not just the Sierra that has
>bear problems, although that's the worst area.

Yes, SoCal has its own bear problems.  I remember in the late 80's how
a boy scout up in the San Bernardino Mtns was mauled when a bear
bit through his tent on his head due to sleeping with a snickers bar under
his pillow.  Then there was that incident a few years ago ( I remember seeing
it in Squatch's video) when those thru-hikers camped illegally at Saddle
Junction in the San Jacinto Wilderness and lost their food.

But little jimmy has had bear problems for years.  I consider
staying at little Jimmy to be a poor campsite selection when
trying to avoid trouble with your food and passed it by last summer.
Its the same with Joshua Tree Spring in the Tehachapis.

-Sean "Miner" Nordeen