[pct-l] Thru hiker questions, snow-related

ned at pacificcrestcustombuilders.com ned at pacificcrestcustombuilders.com
Sat Jan 16 13:15:20 CST 2010

Hi, Ken!

Good questions.

We offer our Snow Courses to especially benefit thru hikers on the PCT and
CDT. We have found that those immediately before a hiker's start date work
best for them because they can attend the Course and carpool south to their
border start. Most of the time several of the students in these courses are
planning on doing the same, so it is easy to set them all into this carpool
arrangement through group email communication.

At this point, the 4/16 Snow Course is full to the brim, but the 4/9 and 4/2
weekends still have some room. 3/26 is nearly full.

What we encourage thru hikers to consider is starting their hikes earlier
than the herd that typically leaves after the Kickoff at Morena with the
rationale of, whether they encounter 6" or 6 feet of snow along the way,
they'll have the knowledge, experience, and wisdom of having already trained
in it, so hiking through it won't matter to their security and confidence.
If they attend a Snow Course even as much as 2 or 4 weeks ahead of the KO,
they can still hitch back to it from wherever they are on the northbound
trail so they can enjoy its camaraderie and hitch back after to where they
left the trail. Even arriving at KM ahead of the "ideal summer trail" date
won't matter either. All in all, if they start "early," they will also be
lowering their daily required mileage by extending the total length of their
hiking season, and that can be a good thing.

It is very common for our students to fly into Reno, rent a car, and drive
up to South Lake Tahoe, renting snowshoes and buying fuel in town before
going up to the Echo Lake Sno-Park trailhead.

Take a look at the dates of the Snow Courses at
http://postholer.com/SnowTravel and let us know which one works best for
you!

Ned & Juliee Tibbits
Mountain Education