[pct-l] Degree bag for thru hike?

Diane at Santa Barbara Hikes dot com diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Tue Jul 6 16:11:53 CDT 2010

I think the majority of people use a 20 degree bag or quilt on the
PCT. It is very cold in the So Cal section.

You can get a down quilt for two at Nunatak (http://
www.nunatakusa.com/site07/arc_products/arc_alpinist_dual.htm) but it
will be expensive. You could also make a Ray Jardine quilt. You could
also zip together two sleeping bags. I've zipped two bags together
and it is very cozy, but you might consider making some kind of air
blocker for between the two of you because otherwise a lot of air
gets in when people roll over. Maybe just stuff some extra clothes in
there or something.

One con of sharing a quilt with a hiking partner is stinkiness. I
think I would have been uncomfortable letting anybody get that close
to my body when I was hiking the trail.

Diane

On Jul 6, 2010, at 10:00 AM, pct-l-request at backcountry.net wrote:

> What degree sleeping bag do folks usually take for a thru hike?
> Pros and cons of sharing a down quilt with a hiking partner (who's
> also my boyfriend) - for pros I'd appreciate any recs on where to
> get a down quilt.
>
> Thanks, Julia

Books I've written:
~ Piper's Flight
~ Adventure and Magic
~ Santa Barbara Hikes
http://stores.lulu.com/dianesoini

We're not here for a long time, but we are here for a good time