[pct-l] Flashbacks

bighummel at aol.com bighummel at aol.com
Fri Jul 23 13:26:16 CDT 2010

So, I'm walking along Angeles Crest in late April, 1977, and stop to take a break on a bank below a ski lift.  The snow is just melting off of this bank and there are beer cans scattered around.  I poke one with my ice axe, figuring it is empty, and lo and behold it squirts beer all over!!!!  "SWEET!" echoes across the Antelope Valley in the distance.  I collect about 6 to 8 full cans and find a cold stream nearby to camp by and cool the beer.  The stars in the sky, the wind in the trees, and everything looks a bit rosier with 8 cans of beer!!

A poor, grainy photo in the waning light of that great day;
http://picasaweb.google.com/7Hummels/PacificCrestTrailIn1977#5207492340806285714

The memories from the trail invade my mind every day, and still provide a drive, an intense drive to excel and succeed.  It drives me on and on . . .

Greg Hummel

"Soooo . . . . when's the last time you heard someone say they like the Indoorsy type???"