[pct-l] Carrying Bulk Water

Diane at Santa Barbara Hikes dot com diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Wed Jun 9 16:48:24 CDT 2010

On Jun 9, 2010, at 10:00 AM, pct-l-request at backcountry.net wrote:

> This is a good discussion.  My only caution is to not carry light
> and filled water containers inside your pack, or at least pack them
> assuming they will spring a leak.
>    I once had a gallon plastic milk bottle filled with water in my
> pack.  Due to the movement of the pack as I was hiking, it wore a
> small leak.  It soaked my sleeping bag!  That's one reason I'm
> willing to eat the few ounces of a more solid water container.

I kept my sleeping bag inside a pocket shower (a dry sack with a
shower nozzle at one end) or inside a trash compactor bag. I kept the
rest of my gear in other trash compactor bags. Simply twisted at the
top and even with a few punctures, I swam across a couple of Sierra
streams (yes, literally swam with my pack under water -- bear cans
work well as flotation devices) and none of the contents of my pack
got wet at all.

So knowing that my stuff will stay dry, I happily pack full water
containers inside my pack. It hurts less than when they pull me
backwards when packed in an outer pocket.

Diane

Books I've written:
~ Piper's Flight
~ Adventure and Magic
~ Santa Barbara Hikes
http://stores.lulu.com/dianesoini

We're not here for a long time, but we are here for a good time