[pct-l] Hiking with Bunions

Diane at Santa Barbara Hikes dot com diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Mon Mar 1 08:17:01 CST 2010

On Mar 1, 2010, at 2:55 AM, pct-l-request at backcountry.net wrote:

> Are there any suggestions for what to do if one's
> feet become abnormally sore?

I met a section hiker with the worst bunion I have ever seen. He
seemed to be doing well.

What do you mean by abnormally sore? If it's excruciating and you're
likely to ruin your chances of being able to hike in the future, you
should probably get off the trail. If you can keep going, just keep
going. I think most people's feet are quite sore by the end of each
day. Mine certainly were. Mine were downright injured and still hurt
now, but I can still hike so it's all good.

A nightly massage helps, an occasional soak so that there's a
weightless feeling on them feels good. I modest amount of ibuprofen
before bed can help, too. My mom sent me some arnica gel to rub on
them. I have no idea if it worked or not, but the gel felt good.
Washing them often and in cold streams actually refreshed them enough
to feel new again for another hour while on the trail.