[pct-l] revision no. 75 to hike plan

Diane at Santa Barbara Hikes dot com diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Wed Mar 3 08:27:49 CST 2010

Last year people jumped up to Donner Summit from Lone Pine to escape
the Snow. They were not on an early schedule like you are planning.
They went southbound but it didn't work out. Too much snow. They
turned back. Maybe northbound would have worked, but for better odds,
you might consider jumping up to Sierra City, 38 trail miles further
north.

Also, I'm not sure what month this will be for you, but last year
there was an article in the newspaper that serves the area around
Chester and Old Station about two hikers who hiked from Quincy-La
Porte road to Chester at the end of May. They had a lot of snow to
deal with but they made it. The ranger thought they were nuts for
being out there too early. She said May is too early up there. Since
you don't like the snow, it might be too early for you.