[pct-l] Electricity on the go

ruffwork ruffwork at ruffwork.com
Thu Mar 4 15:00:11 CST 2010

Here is a video of the fuel cells
http://vimeo.com/9573542

Here is the companies web site:
http://www.myfuelcell.se/

Specs are:
Output power range:                           Sub-watt – 3 Watts
Watt Hours per 2 Wh Fuel Packet:   Charge Time 1 – 1/2 hours (providing 2 Wh)
Start Up Time:                                      Nominal
Lasts at least 1500 hours:                 1000 start/stop cycles
Output ports:                                        micro USB/Standard USB-adapter
Dimensions:                                        LxWxH 104 x 57 x 36 mm
Weight (without fuel):                        105 g (3.75 oz)

I carry an iPhone so I have:
4-port charger and wires to charge everything at once - 6.75 oz
Kensington battery - 2.75 oz

If you carry AA Lithium (lightest): 1oz per pair

So this could be VERY nice to replace the batteries and not have to be tied to a wall outlet
at every town.  The iPhone does not state the Wh capacity of the internal battery so it's hard to
calculate the charge time for this puppy.  The fuel packets are 2Wh each and the Kensington
battery I carry provides me with about 1 full iPhone recharge and it's rated at 1.8 Ah so 1 packet
should fully recharge the iPhone (wahoo!).

Sounds like the gadget to have next hiking season!

Of course what happens when you drop your pack full of H2 fuel tea bags into the stream on a crossing...heh...

ruffwork

The road goes ever on and on...