[pct-l] VVR

jason moores jmmoores at hotmail.com
Fri Mar 12 00:14:14 CST 2010

> "As for a customer's response being more important than an
employees - I disagree with you. First, because I'm NOT an employee who
feels he has to defend his employer. I'm a long time friend who does
the website for free... and who happens to have the inside knowledge of
the workings at VVR... and secondly, because more often than not, the
real story can be had from the employees - not the customers."

Bill,

As the chef of the Stehekin Landing Restaurant for 2008 and dinner chef from Aug.-Nov. 2009 I've had the pleasure of serving many thru-hiker their last "town meal". Being part of the hiking community my fiance and I take this responsibility very seriously. We did our best to provide guests with the best possible experience that was within our power to provide.

Even as a chef my ego is not so fragile that I believe that we were perfect. Nor do I expect everyone to like me personally. If someone considers me "shady" I can live with that on a personal level, but it would give me pause as an employee. As you keep pointing out we're operating businesses. These businesses survive or die by customer opinion, not employee perception. While I always listen to my employee's side of any customer complaint, what ultimately matters is that the customer left unhappy. Industry figures point out that 9 out of 10 unhappy customers will
never bother to speak out about their dissatisfaction, they simply wont
return. I applaud your attempt to straighten out the controversy over hiker packages, I can tell you that several hikers spoke of this subject with me in 2008. Perception is everything in the service industry. Discounting Junaid's experience in an attempt to protect your friend is bogus. I'm sure that Jim is man enough to take negative feedback about his operation. Perhaps the reason that the controversy over "hiker food" being resold has persisted in the PCT comunity for so many years is that the employees at VVR have done a poor job of informing their customers of what is really happening.

jason