[pct-l] Using a GPS

jeff.singewald at comcast.net jeff.singewald at comcast.net
Mon Mar 15 17:50:09 CDT 2010

Austin,

While your question was directed at Mags, I will throw in the following...

In 2006 hiking northbound through the Sierra in early June, we encountered miles and miles of snow covered trail.  We really weren't concerned if we were spot on the trail.  When the trail is covered in snow, it really doesn't matter if you are spot on.  The map and compass provided you are familiar and comfortable with use provide what is needed.  A funny story; at one point in the northern part of the Sierra, we were headed down the north side of one of the numerous passes and as we dropped into tree cover, we had temporarily lost our bearings.  Earlier that day we had run into a fella that had a GPS and he was hiking with us for the day.  At one point, he decided to pull out the GPS and my hiking partner and I both let him know that we had already gone the better part of 180 miles in high snow coverage and we would be damned if we were going to use one at that point so we suggested he keep the details of his GPS readings to himself.  We had a laugh when later that day he shared with us that when he checked the GPS, the direction we had decided to travel was within 20 feet of the actual trail.  But, with that said, I suspect a GPS would have eliminated us going up the wrong pass at Mather and having to backtrack to the correct pass.  But, hey, that was all part of the adventure and great memories.

I won't speak to Southbound travel as I have not done that personally as yet, but, given that many folks crossed the Sierra in heavy snow years in the 80s and 90s and in both 2005/2006 without GPS, I would tend to agree with Mags that it is more of a convenience than a need.

If you are constantly in fear of being "off-trail" when travelling over snow, than the GPS might very well provide a bit of peace of mind.  And, if you are travelling solo through the snow covered trail, that peace of mind may be an additional benefit.

Hey, I love my GPS, but when my wife bought it for me two years ago, I made a deal with her that we would not use it for backpacking navigation as we get a kick out of doing it the old fasioned way, so all we use it for is Geocaching.

Elevator