[pct-l] iPods, MP3's, and headphone nation

rockmarkstar at aol.com rockmarkstar at aol.com
Thu Mar 18 09:27:45 CDT 2010

Since living in Southern California for the last couple of years, I've struggled with
the idea of wearing headphones while hiking. Sometimes the music has enhanced the hiking
experience. Other times, I believe it has taken something away from it. I guess the key
is to have an awareness of when headphones are actually taking away from the experience.
Personally, I tend not to wear headphones as much anymore.  The turning point occurred
while hiking in the Angeles National Forest and I passed by a medium sized rattlesnake
on the trail. The sound of his rattle was just loud enough that I turned my head and
thought "What was that?" If I had my headphones in, obviously I would have missed the
opportunity to see the beautiful snake. Not only that, the risk of being bitten by one
while hiking alone with headphones would be unfortunate enough to say the least...
-Flyboxer
http://marks-talesfromthetrails.blogspot.com/