[pct-l] iPods, MP3's, and headphone nation

Paul Mitchell bluebrain at bluebrain.ca
Thu Mar 18 21:11:23 CDT 2010

Music, and even better - audio books, are the only thing that keep me sane
on a long distance hike.  I do like to go long stretches without any
distraction, but month after month?  No thank you!  I don't enjoy that much
presence - I need some distraction, some emotional stimulation.

After a good stretch of solitude and quietude on the trail, I am so much
more receptive to music than back at home, busy and over-stimulated.  This
song, for example, by my favorite band - I was never previously really able
to "get" this song, but one day on the PCT I had a listen and it was almost
a spiritual experience: www.youtube.com/watch?v=9mcae8M9SJM - whatever state
the trail had me in, it made me receptive to this song on a whole different
level.

At home I have a hard time clearing my mind enough to read a good book, my
mind just wanders too much, I can't focus.  After a while on the trail a
good audio book is such a welcome distraction and I'm so open to it.  The
good books I listened to on my hike really stuck with me - they were a
strong part of the experience.

This idea of a "pure" hiking experience, I'm sure that's what it's about for
some people, but on a long trail I personally want as much music and audio
distraction as I can carry.

Incidentally, I bring an MP3 player that runs on one AAA battery and takes
SD memory cards so I can fill a couple dozen 2gb cards with music and books.
I'm really looking forward to some good audio books on the trail this
summer.

Potential 178
www.hikefor.com