[pct-l] plantar faciitis

Rebecca Mezoff rebecca.mezoff at gmail.com
Sat Mar 20 10:01:38 CDT 2010

Kinesio tape is a real thing.  It is a special tape with two-way
stretch.  I am an occupational therapist and have used this tape a lot
to tape painful shoulders after stroke as well as rehabing repetitive
strain injuries of the upper extremities.  It really can be helpful
paired with proper rest, stretching, and possibly other modalities
(see your local physical therapist for foot stuff).  I can imagine
that kinesio tape would be wonderful for plantar faciitis.

The tape itself doesn't have any "magical or healing" properties, it
is just tape--but a tape that has some give in two directions so that
it gives support to the muscles and encourages healing and proper
alignment.  As someone else said, you have to clean the skin before
application.  Alcohol swabs work well.  The tape can be worn in the
shower (or through river fords).  It will dry and continue so stick
for as much as a week.  Eventually it will peel off and you can
reapply.  Tape remover swabs help get it off if you need it to come
off sooner.

The taping method does have specific patterns for different issues.
I'd recommend seeing a physical therapist (you thought a therapist
would say that, didn't you!) or at least getting the kinesio tape book
which shows patterns of taping for different issues.  I haven't
searched the internet, but there probably are sites that show you how
to tape also.
Rebecca