[pct-l] Peek on PCT

Jim Bravo jimbravo at wildblue.net
Sat Mar 27 18:49:25 CDT 2010

Dear Miner and other forum tech people:

I am one of the folks Iceaxe was trying to help recently, re: using a Peek email device on the PCT this year. I'll describe the issue and if you have any ideas how to fix it, please respond on or off list.

My Peek Pronto downloads emails from Wildblue's server. Note that Wildblue uses Gmail. So far, so good. When I get home to download emails from Wildblue with Winmail/Vista, they are gone. It is after I've been home awhile that "new" emails start coming in -  one's that the Peek hasn't swiped. (Note that I do not get Peek reception at home, so the Peek server quits asking Wildblue for emails.)

The Wildblue settings are for POP3 incoming with IMAP enabled. There are no options in Wildblue's "settings" window to "keep emails on server". Their window is identical to Gmail's "settings" window. Probably because they are the same window. Duh. Chatted with Wildblue techs and they have no clue how to fix this. They said they are sending it upstairs (to God?).

I also have a separate Gmail account for the Peek, so I am considering "forwarding" all Wildblue emails to the secondary account (there is an option for this) , and removing the Wildblue account from the Peek. This should keep the Peek from mugging Wildblue's server. Right? So I'll get them via Winmail on my computer. It's an end run around the problem, but I think it ought to work. I'd rather fix the server issue, though.

Jim
StrayEmail
formerly Straywolf