[pct-l] Warning - Mile 548 - North of Tylerhorse Canyon

Scott Williams baidarker at gmail.com
Thu May 6 22:20:07 CDT 2010

Hi all, this is Shroomer writing from the hotel lobby in Tehachapi, and I
agree, a huge thanks to Half Mile for forwarding my message.  And Miner you
are correct, this is at the top of the ridge, and the area is a maze of dirt
bike tracks, and the whole show may be aimed at dirt bikers, and not us, but
the danger of barreling through the area in tennis shoes or as Amoeba does,
in crocks, can not be understated.  The trail is littered in broken bottles
and small cement cylinders with 3 or 4 nails embedded in them.  We saw 20 to
30 of these in the trail or along the side, and about 5 or 6 were burried in
the loose sand, with the nails protruding above ground.  No question that
they would cripple a hiker if stepped on with the weight of person and
backpack.  Also the area has numerous signs nailed to the trees warning that
you are hiking on a rifle range, and a target consisting of two metal arms
that will spin around if either side is hit, is pounded right into the
middle of the trail.  If anyone actually fired at that target, they'd be
shooting directly down the trail at north bound hikers.  Finally a shiney
new barbed wire fence has been layed directly across the trail and is
posted, No Tresspassing, Private Land.  Between the shooting gallary, the
threatening posts, and home made caltrops, the whole scene is very
threatening.

Three of us came upon this, and took some photos, and packed up one of the
caltrops, and hit it down the trail as fast as we could.  As soon as we had
a bit of cel service, 3:15pm, we phoned the PCT office in Idyllwild and left
a message about what we had found, and who we were.  Early this morning I
called the PCTA main office, and then the Kern County Sheriff.  The Sheriff
was really quick in his response, sending a Sgt to pick up the caltrop.  I
later heard that the land is private, but the trail is under BLM
management.  A sheriff's deputy and BLM law inforcement were both dispatched
this afternoon to investigate the scene.  I don't know what they saw today,
or what conclusions they've come to.  I've basically been on the phone all
day, calling and being called by representitives of the Forest Service, BLM,
PCTA, Sheriff's Office and several local news papers who received a tip, and
wanted to do a story.  So far, I've been very impressed by the concerted
response of all agencies involved, and hope the mess will be cleaned up
soon.

And on a more positive note, Tehachapi has been a hiker's dream with trail
angels all over the place.  I needed to get to the post office, and asked
the person at the desk of the down town Best Western, where it was.  She
told me it was too far to walk, and wouldn't give me directions until she
had given me her car keys so I could drive there.  Wow!  And later, I asked
another gal at the desk how to get to the main road so that I could hitch
out of town, and she had me call, "The Apple Shed", a restaurant a few
blocks away and talk to "Cathy."  Cathy is a dear and gave me a long list of
local trail angels willing to give hiker trash lifts back to the trail.  The
first person I called said, where and when, and I'm set to get back to the
trail.  What people!  I've also heard that another Cathy at the "Picture
Perfect" shop will help hikers, and send free cards for you.  A great town
to come into after a scary day yesterday.

I don't have email on the trail.

Thanks again Half Mile, I do have your number.

Shroomer