[pct-l] GPS maps

Halfmile list at lon.net
Sun May 9 08:20:31 CDT 2010

Hi Yoshihiro,
For a Garmin GPS I would recommend buying the the Garmin TOPO U.S. 24K
West DVD. This includes 24 K maps of of all of California, Oregon,
Washington and Nevada.
https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=35407&pvID=36718#featureTab

You can load all of CA, OR & WA on a 4 GB microSD card or select just
parts of the states near the PCT and use a 2 GB microSD card.

I would also recommend loading my half mile waypoints using Garmin's POI loader:
http://www.pctmap.net/download/p/waypointdl.html
http://www8.garmin.com/products/poiloader/

Users of newer Garmin GPS units like the Dakota and Oregon (or section
hikers only needing sections of the PCT) can load my tracks of the
PCT:
http://www.pctmap.net/download/p/trackdl.html

The popular 60CSx and VistaHCx do not have the capacity to store large
amounts of track data, however.

-Halfmile