[pct-l] Washington Section K - PCT vs Detour

Sean 'Miner' Nordeen sean at lifesadventures.net
Tue May 11 13:57:35 CDT 2010

I agree that the original PCT route is the better option for a hiker and I found it trival to pass through last September due to all the work thats been done the past few years.  However the PCTA Communicator Magazine recently published that they will be working this section to finish clearing it of the old growth blowdowns and to build the bridge across the Suiattle River and said that hikers should use the detour during this time.

I took this to mean that while they are doing work, they would prefer the hikers not be around as it may not be safe.  I suspect the choice on whether to use the original route will be determined on when you arrive and what they are working on at moment.  The bridge is scheduled to go in sometime in mid July but will require some additional trail construction to meet up with the original trail while log removal will likely be happening over much of the summer.

-Miner