[pct-l] Flying

Peter Shaw shawonpct at msn.com
Tue May 18 14:52:00 CDT 2010

Dan,

When I finished my thru-hike last year I checked my pack. I attached my
poles securely to the pack, tightened up all the straps and used one of the
large plastic bags provided by the airline to put it in. That was an easy
and trouble free process and it arrived without any damage. Maybe I was
lucky, but unless you have a protective container, you are always taking a
risk with soft items going through the baggage system.

I wouldn't have even contemplated trying to carry it on the airplane.
Despite it probably not meeting the size limits, there were just too many
things that would have caused an issue at the security screening. Things
that come to mind in my pack were multi-purpose tool, penknife, sewing
needle, trekking poles and tent stakes. I suspect cooking stove, tent poles,
and even the metal stays in the pack would have been cause for concern in
the eyes of an over-zealous TSA screener. There are the usual restrictions
on liquids and toiletries but I wouldn't expect you would be carrying
excessive amounts of any of these.

Obviously fuel is not allowed, either checked or carry on. I personally
would also buy a lighter and matches when I arrived at my destination, but I
don't believe either of those are banned.

I have been a very frequent flyer over the last ten years and I have seen
quite a lot of airport "incidents" where people have been arguing with the
authorities, whether they be airline employees or TSA agents, about what
they can carry on to an airplane. No matter how justified, the flyer never
wins one of these arguments and it is best in my experience to leave
anything that might be an issue at home, or send it ahead by mail or just
buy another one when you get to your destination.

Of course the airlines charge now for any checked baggage so that is a
consideration. Ironically, when I checked in at SEATAC they were charging
$35 for my bags but a first class upgrade was only $50 and then the bags
were free. The luxury was well worth it, especially as I celebrated ending
my hike with a double scotch.

Peanut Eater