[pct-l] Follow-up to the earlier GPS discussion

Trekker4 at aol.com Trekker4 at aol.com
Thu May 20 16:07:26 CDT 2010

On the DeLorme PN models, you can use the Topo 8!  software that comes with
it to get around the track/waypoint limits. They have a  $30/yr unlimited
topo downloads subscription; if you had the memory, you could  download the
whole country, topo and/or photo and other stuff; the PN base  maps is
1:100,000 for the whole country, but the subscription gets you the  1:24,000
stuff.
    I download a wide swath on either side of a trail  track; then I "copy
to draw layer" the track(s) I have on my project. This makes  them part of
the draw layer/project file, and frees up one of the 10, usually,  track
limitations for most GPS units. It's a simple process, but sure as hell  not in
their help info; I had to get it from a tech (actually the 2nd tech - 1st
didn't know how to do it), but their tech support has been very good so far.
It  took a lot of time for this fumbling nerd to get it all right, but it
was worth  the learning curve.
    I bought 2 16-GB cards; the limit is 32 GB on any  one card, but I
wanted a backup card with me. The 16 GB holds a lot of topo  coverage; I think
I'll be able to get all the CDT, the WA PCT, the GET, the  Hayduke, the AZT,
and a lot of Big Bend coverage in 16 GB.
    The Nat'l Geo TOPO stuff may be basically the same  thing. It's
possible the above would apply to that map software.
    This year I'm using Halfmiles's tracks & maps  for my PCT finish in Aug
in WA. Thanks, Halfmile! The maps are great! Up  to Trout Lake I'd been
using the More Than a MIle maps.

Bob  "Trekker"
Big Bend Desert Denizen, and...
Naturalized Citizen - Republic  of Texas

"Government cripples you, then hands you a crutch and says,  'See, if it
wasn't for us, you couldn't walk.' " -- Harry Browne

"If you  think health care is expensive now, wait until you see what it
costs when its  free." -- P J O'Rourke

In a message dated 5/20/2010 12:26:19 P.M. Central Daylight Time,