[pct-l] Planning first solo PCT hike

Denis Stanton denisstanton at mac.com
Sun May 23 18:30:50 CDT 2010

Hi Grete

Please don't carry a gun.  I'm doing a small section in your 'target' area next month and I don't want to worry about hikers packing guns.  The only guns I have ever seen on the PCT were being worn by a team of LAPD out on a team-building exercise.  They looked completely out of place.  And so did their guns.

Statistically the PCT is a very safe place.  The biggest dangers you might face will be hypothermia due to inadequate gear for cold weather and possibly misjudged river crossings. A gun won't help.  A box of matches might.

Last year I had the experience of being momentarily threatened by a fairly large bear who was eating up some supplies thoughtlessly left on the steps of an unoccupied ranger station.  If I had had a gun someone might have been hurt (probably me, as I've never handled one).  Fortunately I had a whistle instead and we were able to negotiate along the lines "if you come any closer I'll blow my whistle again".

I usually hike alone, but there are lots of other like-minded people on the PCT and it's extremely likely, if you are hiking the Sierra in late June or July, that you will fall in with other PCT hikers that suit your pace and temperament so you won't be alone unless you want to be.

regards

Denis Stanton