[pct-l] Planning first solo PCT hike

Jim Banks jbanks4 at socal.rr.com
Sun May 23 18:30:01 CDT 2010

Hi Grete, there is no need to carry a gun on the trail.  I would not give
much weight to advice from non-hikers.  I personally own lots of guns and go
to the pistol and rifle range frequently, but I never carry a gun on the
trail.  First of all, the gun and bullets are too heavy.  You have enough to
carry as it is.  Second, unless you wear it in a holster on your hip, it
would take too long to access even if you wanted/needed to use it.  Third,
it would be really out of place among the other hikers and would make most
people very nervous about being around you (myself included).

Yes, you can have a trail name even if you are not a thru hiker.  Keep in
mind that there are many, many, many more section hikers than there are thru
hikers and it is our trail just as much as it is theirs.  You will have the
time of your life hiking from Kennedy Meadows north.  It will blow you away
(no gun pun intended)!

I-Beam