[pct-l] Jacket questions?

Diane Soini of Santa Barbara Hikes diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Tue Nov 9 21:36:14 CST 2010

On Nov 9, 2010, at 10:00 AM, pct-l-request at backcountry.net wrote:
> For the entire trail, I carried a Montbell Ex.Light Down Jacket
> that weighed 6.4oz in size L.

At the last minute, I bought a Patagonia Down Sweater. Cost a pretty
penny. It has turned out to be my favorite piece of gear. I wear it
every day, even now. Probably the best money I ever spent.

I used it to extend the warmth of my sleeping bag. It was handy in
trail towns hanging around in the evenings. A few times it was cold
enough to wear for a little while on the trail. The nice thing about
the thin down jackets is that they dry quickly. You can put them in
the drier or you can line dry them and they'll be dry very quickly.
Since I never needed to wear it in the rain, I felt that it provided
worry-free warmth.

I don't care for fleece jackets. Wind blows through them too easily.
They tend to get static cling and my long hair tends to collect all
over them.