[pct-l] Jacket questions?

CHUCK CHELIN steeleye at wildblue.net
Fri Nov 12 08:31:10 CST 2010

Good morning, all,

Piper mentioned a “disadvantage” of fleece jackets that I’ve come to greatly
appreciate: They are not wind proof.  I carry a fleece jacket or pull-over
sweater plus a 3-5 ounce windshirt.  Wearing both is warm and windproof for
periods in the morning before I’ve walked to warm up; and for the short time
in the evening before I crawl in the sack.

Other times I need less warmth so I can peel off the windshirt and allow
perspiration to out-ventilate.  Other times – such as when I arrive all
sweaty at a pass – I can quickly pull on only the windshirt to avoid cooling
too quickly.

All that is less easy to do with a down jacket/sweater having two built-in
windbreaker layers.

Steel-Eye

http://www.trailjournals.com/steel-eye

http://www.trailjournals.com/SteelEye09