[pct-l] Vintage JMT Guide Book by Starr

Reinhold Metzger reinholdmetzger at cox.net
Sat Nov 13 13:39:32 CST 2010

Hey.....I am also old and tattered....probably more so than you.
And yes, I also have the vintage JMT Guide Book by Starr.
I have the "original 1934 first edition".....compliments from my buddy
"Deems".
It holds a prominent position among my backpacking books....next to my
1974 edition.

Yes Sir, it is one of my price possessions....after all,..... the JMT
is  "my baby".
Thanks a lot again Deems.

JMT Reinhold
Your hopelessly in love, with the JMT, trail companion.
Mike wrote:
I have an old tattered copy to, but since it is at home & I am not I do
not recall the date.
  It sort of matches me. i am  old & tattered, too.
  hm ---
--------------------------------------
On Mon, 11/8/10, Edward Anderson <mendoridered at yahoo.com
I still have this tattered old guide book that I bought in 1953.
  It is: "Guide to the John Muir Trail and the High Sierra Region" by
Walter A Starr, Jr.
  It was first published in 1934, a year after Starr's death.
  Starr was lost while climbing in the Minarets An extensive search
followed.
His body was finally found by Norman Clyde My copy was published by the
Sierra Club in 1953.
  It measures 5" x 7.5" x 3/8' thick and weighs just over 5 ounces.
  It is the only guidebook I used during my early wanderings in the Sierra.
  Do any old-timers on this list remember this guidebook?

  MendoRider