[pct-l] Water purification clearification!!

Diane Soini of Santa Barbara Hikes diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Tue Nov 16 20:09:01 CST 2010

I think what you are really asking is what is the water in So Cal like.

It seemed that water sources for me in 2008 consisted mostly of
creeks, many of which were very small, water faucets (either on trail
or in hotel rooms or other facilities), springs (a pipe dripping
water into a trough) and other sources (tanks, bottles left at
trailheads.)

I think most of the time the water was a cattle trough spring. I even
wrote a song one day while I was hiking and one of the lines was
about drinking out of cattle troughs because there are no creeks. Of
course there are creeks, just not many!

I carried a filter in 2008 but in 2009 when I returned and hiked a
portion of the So Cal region on my way to Canada, I carried Aquamira.
Aquamira is lighter. The cattle trough spring water is clear coming
out of the pipe. I often drank it untreated.

In addition to water purification, it is good to learn good water
management so you don't labor under too much heavy weight of excess
water. In 2008 I labored with 5.5 liters and tried to keep it full as
much as I could. Bad idea. In 2009 I only had 3.5 liters capacity
(NOTE: OTHERS OF YOU MAY NEED MUCH MUCH MORE THAN ME! I LEARNED WHAT
I NEEDED.) and would add extra capacity in the form of tanking up at
a source (drinking a whole liter) or making pudding, which carried
well in my pack and provided not just hydration but a delicious,
filling treat!

Good luck!