[pct-l] Camera

Gary Wright gwtmp01 at mac.com
Sun Nov 21 13:50:21 CST 2010

On Nov 20, 2010, at 11:37 PM, Ethan Smith wrote:

> I would love to get some advice about buying a camera for my 2011 thru-hike. I am looking for one that is light-weight, durable, $150 range, takes good (doesn't have to be excellent) pictures, and is easy to use.
> Also, what have you done about memory cards?

 - go to www.dpreview.com for excellent digital
   camera buying guide, comparisons, reviews, etc.
 - if you have a choice spend money on a larger
   or higher quality lens rather than more
   mega-pixels
 - digital zoom: bad
 - optical zoom: good
 - try to get an optical zoom of 4x or higher
 - select a camera that uses standard batteries
   rather than a custom battery that needs to be
   recharged in town
 - use lithium batteries for digital cameras
 - use multiple memory cards rather than one
   huge card
 - rotate cards via mail to a trusted
   person at home who can back them up and send
   the card back a resupply point
 - you can burn disks yourself at larger towns
   with a Walmart/CVS/Walgreens/etc.
 - Don't put all your pictures on one
   memory card!  If you have problems with the
   card you'll lose all your pictures.
 - take pictures at the highest quality, lowest
   compression possible to get the best photos
 - experiment with your camera before you hit the
   trail.  Make sure you learn how to:
     -- force the flash on (google "fill flash")
     -- force the flash off
     -- force 'macro' mode for taking close up
        pictures (plants, flowers, bugs, etc)
     -- zoom in/out to improve composition
     -- take movies
     -- use special picture taking modes (portrait,
        landscape, night time, indoor etc) for
        your camera

 - regularly go through your pictures and write
   down a quick summary/title for *each* one. Don't
   wait until the end of your trip to do this.  Especially
   include the names of people and places.

 - best time to take landscape pictures, early in the
   morning or late in the day when the sun provides
   the most interesting light

 - keep your camera with you in town

Radar's #1 Trail Photography Tip:  Make sure you camera is
accessible at all times!  You should be able to get at your
camera while you are walking. Except for rainy days your
camera should never be buried in your pack.  Even then make
an effort to take it out when you see something interesting.
Except when it is pouring buckets the trail can still be
quite picturesque in inclement weather.

Radar